The extractor hood is such an essential element when cooking as can be the oven or the stove. This appliance is capable of absorbing all the smoke, odors and grease that is generated while you are cooking , avoiding the feeling of overwhelm and dirt characteristic of an out-of-control kitchen.
Here is our selection of the 6 best cooker hoods today and we explain which are the most important aspects to take into account when choosing the right model.
- Chef PS18 Under Cabinet Range Hood – Best to Buy in 2020
- Zuhne iChorus 36 Island Hood – Best Mid-Range Island Model
- Z Line KB Wall Mount Range Hood – Best Wall Mount Hood
- Fotile JQG7501 Under Cabinet Range Hood – Best High-End Hood
- Z Line GL1i Island Mount Range Hood – Best Island Hood
- Broan Non-Ducted Hood 41000 Series – Best Ductless Range Hood
- Broan Range Hood F40000 Series – Best Under Cabinet Hood
- IKTCH 30 Inch Under Cabinet Range Hood 900
- KOBE Range Hoods KOBE IN2636SQB-650-5A
- Ancona Inserta Chef Built-In Range Hood, 28-Inch, Stainless Steel
- Cosmo QS90 36-in Under-Cabinet Range Hood 900-CFM
- XtremeAir Ultra Series UL10-U30, 30′ width Under cabinet hood
- Hauslane | Chef Series Range Hood
- BV Range Hood – 30 Inch 900 CFM Under Cabinet Seamless Stainless Steel Kitchen Range Hoods
- Cosmo QS75 30-in Under-Cabinet Stainless Steel Range Hood with LED Light
- Broan-NuTone F403004 Two-Speed Four-Way Convertible Range Hood, 30-Inch, Stainless Steel
Explore here 2020 Home & Kitchen Prime Day Deals
Klarstein Zola is a wall-mounted cooker hood with a sloped design that is very functional to control all fires comfortably . The structure is made of stainless steel, although it also includes a glass front panel and a folding cover for the filter, also made of steel.
It has an extraction power of up to 635 m 3 / h adjustable in 3 intensity levels, which fits perfectly in a spacious kitchen of up to 22 m 2 . It is a little louder than the previous model (74 decibels), although it does not cause annoyance either unless you are very sensitive to noise.
Regarding the space required to install it , in addition to the distance over the stove (65-75 cm depending on whether it is a glass-ceramic or gas), it is necessary to have a wall space of between 52.5 and 105 cm to be able to place the decorative column that lines the extraction tube. The width is 90 cm, so it is compatible with practically all cooktops on the market.
You should know that it works only with an outdoor extraction system , so if you do not have ventilation ducts, we recommend that you choose another model that includes an air recirculation system.
It is also worth highlighting its good LED lighting , which in addition to providing great luminosity means less energy consumption. As for the filtering system, this model has a single aluminum filter that can be cleaned in the dishwasher.
✔️ It is a powerful and functional hood.
✔️ It has a stylish design and good lighting.
❌ Does not include air recirculation system.
Ciarra CBCB6506B is a powerful wall-mounted extractor hood with a very elegant design in curved glass and black steel. The only drawback is that it requires a lot of space to install.
This model is a great alternative for medium-sized kitchens (around 18 m 2 ), since it has a very interesting extraction power of 550 m 3 / h that can also be regulated in 3 levels of intensity. The width of the extractor is 60 cm, so it fits most standard size plates.
Regarding its dimensions , you must bear in mind that for its installation you need a space above the stove of between 65 and 75 cm, depending on whether it is a glass-ceramic hob or a butane stove. It is also important that you make sure that there is enough space to place the chimney flue , which has an adjustable height between 53.3 and 91.3 cm.
The quality of the assembly and its soundproofing system must be highlighted , with a maximum noise emission of only 65 decibels that is practically imperceptible.
Regarding maintenance, it is necessary to wash the aluminum filter every month to avoid excessive accumulation of fat, although do not worry because it can be put in the dishwasher.
Finally, it remains to be mentioned that it is compatible with both the external extraction mode and the air recirculation mode , although to use the latter, you need to buy a carbon filter separately.
✔️ It is a powerful and silent extractor.
✔️ It has a stylish design and is easy to clean.
❌ Its dimensions are not compatible with all kitchens.
Buying guide: fundamental aspects to consider when choosing Range
To determine how much extraction power the hood will need, it is necessary to know the dimensions of the kitchen.
This has no mystery, since it is something as simple as multiplying the height of the wall by the length and width. The industry experts recommend that air turnover of stay about 12 times per hour of operation , so to calculate the power extraction there is only necessary to multiply the kitchen area by 12.
For example, a kitchen with a height of 2.5 meters and walls 4 meters long and 3 meters wide has a total area of 30 cubic meters (2.5 height x 4 length x 3 width = 30 m 3 ).
This kitchen will need a hood with an extraction power of 360 cubic meters for every hour of operation (360 m 3 / h), which is the result of multiplying 30 m 3 x 12.
Available space above the stove
The design of the kitchen plays a very important role because it determines the type of extractor hood that can be installed.
The more wall space available above the stove, the greater the number of options to choose from. On the contrary, if you have little space, you will have to opt for the more compact models integrated into the furniture.
These are the main types of extractor hood that are used in a home:
• Built-in hood : it is quite discreet as well as powerful, as it fits perfectly into the cupboard above the stove and the lower part is almost at the same height as the cabinet.
• Telescopic hood : this type of hood is more compact than the built-in one because how it is folded saves a lot of space. It has the advantage that the filters are very easy to remove and can be put in the dishwasher.
• Wall hood : decorative wall hoods have the advantage that they leave more free space in the stove area and allow cooking with greater freedom of movement.
• Island hood : this type of hood is hung from the ceiling using steel ropes and looks great in large kitchens that have the stove inside an island.
• Ceiling extractor: this kind of extractor is integrated into the ceiling of the kitchen and allows to create an open space with maximum freedom of movement. The most common models are made of white glass or stainless steel.
To ensure proper smoke extraction and avoid its accumulation, it is very important to choose a hood with a size equal to or greater than that of the cooktop . Although this requirement is easy to meet because most manufacturers use standardized measures.
Extractor hoods are usually 60 or 90 cm wide, while standard glass ceramic hobs are 60 cm, so in principle this should not be a problem. Although of course do not trust yourself and always measure the plate before buying to avoid surprises.
Air outlet to the outside or recirculation
Depending on the ventilation system used, it is possible to distinguish between hoods with exit to the outside and recirculation hoods .
The hoods with exit to the outside evacuate all the contaminated air towards the outside of the house through a ventilation duct. This system allows a complete renovation of the kitchen atmosphere , in addition to producing less noise and no odor traces. The only thing you should keep in mind is that the kitchen has a ventilation duct or that there is enough space to install it.
The hoods with recirculation system not renew the air , but rather purify it through a filtering system with activated carbon and again expel the room . They are the best solution for kitchens that do not have the necessary infrastructure to install a ventilation duct, although they produce more noise and do not have as much power. Also, the carbon filter wears out and needs to be replaced every so often.
In general, we are used to using hoods that generate a lot of noise, but you should know that current models incorporate very effective soundproofing systems that eliminate much of the acoustic impact. If noise is a very annoying factor for you, it is best to opt for a silent model that does not exceed 60 decibels .
Ease of cleaning
Regular cleaning of the filters is very important to avoid reducing the extraction capacity over time and the accumulation of dirt.
The easier they are to disassemble and clean, the less time and effort it will take to perform maintenance correctly. Fortunately, most modern extractors have filters that can be put in the dishwasher to leave them completely clean without complications.